Thursday 7 October 2010

Getting to Know You

Friday, 1st October 2010


After watching the most amazing sunset from my new driveway we ventured into the village for well-earned drink and food only to find...it's shut. Well, almost. It is Feria in Velez-Malaga and it would seem that most of the village has gone to party, including a number of the bar and restaurant owners.

Still, we're here now and a bar with a pool-table is open so we duck in there to smack a few balls around and sink a vino or two. And what a result - drinks only a euro a pop! We also managed to pick up an admirer on the way - Pepe. An old man I think he is either a little simple or a groper (if he's after me, a bit of both); only time will tell. Though in his defense he did nothing wrong and did smell very nice.

In the second bar we got chatting to some locals. I say we, Jan and Nikki, did. By the time we left, less than an hour, the village knew where I lived, what I was doing up here, the subject of my proposed books and we knew that one of them has lots of almond trees. It was all very friendly and not at all intimidating. I think I may like it here.

Food was by now a priority and as luck would have it the only other open bar was serving food. A reasonable meal at a reasonable price, an early night was called for as my cold took hold with avengence.

Saturday 2nd October, 2010

Having spent the day exterminating wasps, wandering the mountainside identifying wild produce and hours of assisting with Nikki's homework, Jan and I felt the need to escape. Popping into the bar where we ate the previous night we got into conversation with Rafa the bar owner. He runs a buggy tour company, a 5 hour tour around the area known as Mudejar. This definitely sounds like something to take visitors on. Apprently the tour runs past my house (I didn't tell him yesterday where I live - the village grapevine is working well).

Rafa also introduced us to the delights of the local sweet wine also known as Mudejar. Similar to Sherry this should work wonders with my cold. Jan and I took home 1 1/2 litres each, purchased at the non-tourist rate of 5 euros (I'm a local don't you know). It is definitely a 'straight from the producer' affair as we were presented with it in bottles whose previous purpose had been to carry water.

This I can live with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment