Wednesday 13 October 2010

Hair of the Dog

If only the title referred to the need for a drink to deal with the ill-effects of a hangover. I should be so lucky. Instead it refers to the seemingly incessant task of sweeping pale dog hairs from the casa's floors. I need me a hoover!!

That is not to say that I have not been indulging in the odd glass of vino. The discovery of a quaffable bottle of white for a mere 95 cents from Mercadona ensures that, even when I'm down to the wire, I will be able to partake of a little light refreshment. I can hear murmurings of disquiet at the quality of such wine. Granted, it is not Chablis, but it is definitely an improvement on some of the filth I have been served (warm) in English pubs. And not a hint of anti-freeze either!

My concerted effort at bidding on freelance work may be about to bear fruit. I don't want to tempt fate but I have a test assignment on Nice to complete by noon Friday which, if it passes muster, could see me with about 200 euros of paid work. To this end I have been frantically trying to get my printer connected to my laptop. But to no avail; 2 hours of fruitless installing, uninstalling, downloading, installing...ad nauseum resulted in no further progress than when I started. This means no lying in bed with sheafs of paper, a highlighter and a glass of wine (my preferred method of research) in order to give myself a headstart tomorrow. Instead I have redoubled my efforts with the book and duly multiplied by 2 the number of words I promised to write each day. But by God it was hard! Re-reading the stoned exploits of Sara and myself as we wreaked our own kind of havoc on the sensibilities of the good people of Amsterdam, has left my eyes red-rimmed and my sides aching.

Here's to tomorrow and Nice. Cheers!

Doggy Dos

Should news reach ears of a weakening of the ozone layer around southern Spain, particularly a mountain by the name La Maroma, then we need look no further than Jake. His penchant for drinking the water out of the trough earmarked for sheep and horses has had unpleasant side-effects. I wish I had more to report on his activities but that I'm afraid is it. One adorable but pongy pooch.












P.S.
I raised my head from writing and there, framed in the window, were two hawks/kestrels. Hovering on the thermals they studied the ground intently then, arching their backs slightly, they lifted their heads turned as one, and drifted off across the valley. Beautiful! The dappled colouring of their feathers, the sharp hooked beak and talons ready for ripping flesh - an awesome sight. Nature is glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment