Saturday 18 December 2010

Christmas Countdown

 Christmas is coming; the Goose is getting fat…

Well it had better be as that is what we are having for Christmas dinner. I want him to be fat as that makes for excellent roast potatoes not only for Christmas Day but sometime hence. Granted I shall have to share the goose fat with my fellow Christmassers but hey, goose fat roast potatoes – yum!
This Christmas is going to be a change from the last 3 years. Not only will I be in Spain but I will have company. Hopefully I will remember how to socialize, having become a modern-day hermit in my castle in the sky! I have bought presents but as always they never seem enough. Sadly, due to my self-imposed stringent finances, the only reason I can stay here without full-time work, the presents will have to suffice, especially as I have to pay for 1/3 of the goose!

I am renowned for opening my presents some considerable time prior to the day itself. I HATE surprises. As a child I would open one end of the present and peek in. I argued that this was so I could practice my “Oh! It’s lovely!” face when the present was in fact far removed from what I wanted or liked. But this year, so far so good. The delivery of presents by my father has seen only one present opened – the camera. I had asked for this and as I will need it to capture in glorious Technicolor the festive events I think I am excused for this action.
My Spanish teacher informed me that there is a party in the village on Thursday morning. The children will be performing, I know not what, and there will be food and drink. I’m going to be there, with my new camera; let’s hope it presents some good photo opportunities.
Above the cloud.
I think I need phtography lessons - the hills look greener than this
The weather has warmed up and the rain is falling. The mountainsides are becoming more verdant by the day. I don’t mind the odd drop of rain; Spain needs it and the greenness around me explains why the area is known as Los Valverdes (as well as el Duende). The white horse opposite thinks that the grass is definitely greener on the other side; she has escaped from her not inconsiderable area twice this week. She is imperturbable. I have had Charlie on the lead once I’ve spotted her and she does not flinch as he strains at the lead and barks at her. Jake trotted up and went nose to nose with her. She lifted her head from the grass, sniffed him and returned to her feeding – good old girl!
I had a wonderful time with my father who was playing Father Christmas. We lunched by the sea twice, bathed in sunshine in mid-December. Bliss. I also introduced him to my favourite eatery in the village – Restaurante Lorena. It took two attempts to get there – the first night the fog was so thick about 1 km from my house that we had to turn back. These are not roads on which you can feel your way; one twitch of the wheel in the wrong direction and it is Goodnight Vienna. The drops can be up to 200 metres. As it was I managed to turn the car on the narrowest stretch of track and get us home safely. I was not aware it was the narrowest part as I could not see a thing and had no idea where I was in relation to the house. Judgement was primarily to be thanked but a little luck was thrown into the mix. When we did reach the village the following day I had my favourite meal – kid cutlets. The meat is so sweet, absolutely delicious. Father tried one and gave it the seal of approval. I munched my way through a pile of cutlets whilst father battled with what has to be the most well-endowed chicken ever to strut the earth. Chicken breast fillets, so much food he had to leave some. The restaurant owner and cook has come to realize I am ‘local’ and we embarked on a semi-conversation. Every time I have guests we are in there; she must be praying I have a long Christmas card list!

No comments:

Post a Comment